night

Monday, September 16, 2013

Friday's Nugget: "Gray Day (Pts 1 & 2)" - Jesse Colin Young - 1974


Friday's Nugget: "Gray Day (Pts 1 & 2)" - 1974 - Jesse Colin Young

Ah yes, Colorado. 330 days of sunshine a year, the high desert, purple mountains' majesties, etc, etc. But every once in a while Mother Nature reminds us glorified chimps w...ho is in charge. This week has seen rains unlike any other week I've encountered in my 25 years of living here, which made me think of this all-time fave from Young's 1974 Light Shine LP.

I actually wrote this Nugget up Thursday night after work, but overnight has made the situation for my neighbors that much more dangerous, causing me to modify it and post this as an update for family & friends. They are actually evacuating part of Morrison, the town in which we live (home to Red Rocks Amphitheatre) because the rains have caused Bear Creek to flood its banks. Susan & I are high enough that we shouldn’t be in imminent danger, but regardless, it is quite a sobering event. Many, many roads in Northeast Colorado are impassible, if not destroyed. If any of you have visited iconic Estes Park, Colorado – the most popular gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park – downtown Estes Park is under a foot of rushing water because we have essentially received an entire year’s worth of rain in some places in ONE DAY. Boulder, where many friends & I have attended college, has evacuated most of downtown (not the college). Please think/pray/whatever for our neighbors. Hopefully relief from this torrential rains should be coming by tomorrow, but they cannot begin to clean up until that happens.

No comments:

My Top 2500 (So Far)