night

Monday, July 6, 2020

#1251 – QUE SERA, SERA (Whatever Will Be, Will Be) – Sly & the Family Stone – 7/6/2020



Originally recorded and released by Doris Day for the 1956 Alfred
Hitchcock thriller “The Man Who Knew Too Much”, this version is sung by Rose
& Sly Stone and appears on Sly’s 1973 LP “Fresh”. For those of you too
young to recollect Sly & the Family Stone, this is the last of Sly’s Columbia releases and
includes the ultra-funk fest single IF YOU WANT ME TO STAY.

I thought this a tune suitable for my return not only to FB
but to encapsulate my 3.400 mile road trip during this time of CoVID to help my
Mom & Sister move my Mom from her apartment she has lived in for the past
13 or so years into an assisted living facility in town. Movers (such as they
were) did much of the packing and heavy physical lifting but there was plenty
of emotional cargo to be toted around also.

The song fits my mood. I would love to have more control
over the situation, but at the end of the day Mom is getting older (as are we
all) and I must face that hard truth. There is a line in the song that rings
quite true to me this morning: “Whatever will be, will be / The future’s not
our’s to see / Que sera, sera
”. But as is reflected in our polar modalities Yin
& Yang, for every darkness there is light. As heavy as my heart was saying
goodbye to my Mom at her door last Thursday night, I was buoyed by my younger
family members whose thoughtfulness & kindness reflect the virtues held so
dear by my Mom. I saw her loving spirit in their actions this weekend.

My nephew John touched me with his great care for his Mom
helping her out when I had to leave with some leftover pieces of the move
unfinished. His son Nick, who just graduated Boston University
last month, had his first article published as the cover story in the Boston
Globe. My niece Makenzie drove well out of her way to meet me for a wonderful lunch
and a laughter-filled conversation which felt as if no time had passed since
our last chat years ago.  

Ultimately, I was able to spend 9 days with my Mom and
sister. The move went OK and Mom is safely in a 14-day quarantine at the new
facility. Most of her staff there seem nice, but I have met very few. We are not
allowed in due to the virus and visits will be by appointment only. It will be
quite a change for all of us in the family, but especially my Mom & Sister.
Please keep them both in your thoughts these coming days.

If any family members would like Mom’s new address please let me know
and I will provide it. I do not know if her phone number will stay the same but
will provide that when I find out as well. If any of you are so inclined, if
you dropped her a quick note or card to say Hello and send your love, I am sure
it would help her days in isolation pass more quickly.

Thanks everyone. I missed most of you and hope you are well.

1973 

No comments:

My Top 2500 (So Far)