night

Saturday, May 30, 2020

#7 – DOCTOR MY EYES – Jackson Browne - 4/26/2020

“Doctor, my eyes have seen the years and the slow parade of fears..”

One this day in 1954, Dr Jonas Salk’s polio vaccine began field trials involving 1.8 million children. The children were from multiple states and participated in the two types of blind trials: observed control based in 37 states & placebo based in 11 others. Almost one year later researchers announced the vaccine was safe and effective and it quickly became a standard part of childhood immunizations in America. In the ensuing decades, polio vaccines would all but wipe out the highly contagious disease in the Western Hemisphere. The marriage of reason, compromise & cooperation solved that horrible riddle almost 70 years ago. It should drive our actions today as well, shouldn’t it?

Anyway, DOCTOR MY EYES tune has been an all-time favorite almost since I first  heard it on my portable radio while on a camping trip in ’72. I swear I have heard it thousands of times since and I’ve not lost any of the joy of hearing it the second Jackson hits those piano keys in the intro. The great David Lindley (lap steel guitar) takes a nice turn on this live version.


1972 

No comments:

My Top 2500 (So Far)